Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Review: "Blowout" by Elise Faber

Blowout Blowout by Elise Faber
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've read a number of Elise Faber's past books, but none in the Breakers Hockey series, so I was a bit concerned about starting with book #6. Fortunately, "Blowout" worked quite well as a standalone, and I loved it.

Professional hockey player Luca "Cas" Castillo has been drawn to waitress Julie "Jules" Blackstar ever since they met, but when he finally works up the courage to ask her out, she turns him down. Between work, school, and raising her 5-year-old son Ethan, Jules has no time for dating. Besides, she's been burned by a hockey player once already and has no interest in making the same mistake twice. But the more Jules learns about Cas, the more she realizes that he couldn't be less like her ex. Can he help her overcome the hurts of the past so that they can build a future together?

Cas was such a sweetheart! Despite his reputation (or what Jules seemed to think was his reputation), I didn't get a player vibe from him at all. He was close with his family, did everything he could to take care of them, and seemed genuinely appreciative of the sacrifices his parents made for him when he was growing up. That said, given her previous experiences with her father and ex-boyfriend, I completely understood why Jules was initially hesitant to get involved with Cas. She wasn't just protecting herself, she was protecting her son too. Cas and Ethan's relationship was adorable, however, and I loved the way the three of them came together as a family.

I highly recommend "Blowout" for all contemporary/sports romance fans and look forward to the next book in the series, featuring Cas's teammate Theo and Eva the sports blogger.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)