Thursday, December 15, 2022

Review: "Nico & Hope and a Partridge in a Pear Tree" by Ellie Hall

Nico & Hope and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Nico & Hope and a Partridge in a Pear Tree by Ellie Hall
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've loved the entire Costa Brothers Cozy Comfort Christmas Romance series, but Ellie Hall saved the best for last with Nico and Hope's story! This funny, sweet, and heartwarming tale was exactly what I needed to get into the Christmas spirit and is sure to appeal to all fans of fairy tale retellings, particularly Cinderella.

Hope Marshall has pretty much been on her own since losing her father when she was only 16. Sure, she has a stepmother and two stepsisters, but they treat her as if she were their servant. Not only that, her stepmother claims Hope owes her a debt and has been making her repay it with interest for the last several years. In an effort to make the final payment by spring and finally be free of "the Steps," Hope has been working four jobs; the latest is a seasonal position as a Christmas Gift-o-Gram Girl delivering singing telegrams and seasonal experiences to the residents of Hawk Ridge Hollow. When she's hired to deliver one to Nico Costa at his family's new pizza and pie shop, he's sure that his five older brothers are pranking him. Even so, he can't help being smitten with Hope after an afternoon of cookie decorating. He'll do anything to spend more time with her - even volunteer to be her fake fiance when the Steps announce that they're moving into Hope's tiny cottage with her because of a plumbing problem at the family home.

I liked Nico in the earlier books of the series because of the way he teased his older brothers, but I totally fell for him after getting to know him better in this story. I empathized with his feelings of being overlooked as the baby of the family as well as his shyness/awkwardness with women. I loved the way he connected with Hope and gained confidence by helping her stand up to the Steps. As for Hope, it amazed me how positive she was in the face of so much adversity. She fit in perfectly with Nico and the rest of the Costas, who took her in and became the family she'd always wanted.

I can't recommend this book (and the entire Costa Brothers series) highly enough! Without a doubt, it has been one of my favorite series of 2022. I look forward to whatever Ellie Hall writes next.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)