Thursday, December 8, 2022

Review: "Christmas At The Grotto" by Colby Bettley

Christmas At The Grotto

Christmas At The Grotto by Colby Bettley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Every year, Christmas-loving Leita looks forward to her seasonal job as an elf at the local Santa's grotto. By contrast, her new co-worker Rhett hates Christmas and couldn't be less excited to play Santa. Putting the two of them together should be a disaster, but when Leita decides that she's going to find a way to make Rhett like Christmas, he's surprised to find himself looking forward to work each day.

I very much enjoyed this cute, funny, and sweet story, particularly its message about the importance of pursuing one's dreams because life is short. Rhett and Leita's banter was a lot of fun and I loved when she teased him. I also loved that he used classic romantic comedies as research material when he was figuring out how to win her over. I will say that a grand gesture seemed kind of unnecessary and over the top in this scenario given that they hadn't parted on bad terms, but it was sweet that Rhett wanted to put in the effort to show Leita how much he cared.

This was a fairly short novella (I read the whole thing in about an hour), so there wasn't time for much in the way of character or relationship development. However, based on the snippets that were shared about Rhett and Leita's respective backgrounds and family situations, I think there's enough material here for the author to expand into a full-length novel if she chose to do so.

I'd recommend "Christmas at the Grotto" for all contemporary romance and romantic comedy fans and look forward to whatever Bettley writes next.

*Review copy provided by the author via Equality Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)