Sunday, December 4, 2022

Review: "From Scotland with Love" by Claire Gillies

From Scotland With Love From Scotland With Love by Claire Gillies
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For the most part, I enjoyed "From Scotland With Love" by Claire Gillies. I've always dreamed of traveling to the Scottish Highlands, so the book's setting in the quirky small town of Arlochy was a particular draw for me. Arlochy's rural location and proximity to Scotland's offshore islands made it unique, and I loved getting a glimpse into a way of life that was so different from anything I've ever experienced. For example, I can't imagine having to take two ferries just to visit a relative!

As for the story itself, I have to admit that it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I would describe it as more women's fiction (with romantic elements) than a true romance novel, and the narration seemed to be a bit scattered at times - almost a stream of consciousness. That said, it worked for me because it was such a character-driven story and told solely from the perspective of main character Lori Robertson.

I didn't find Lori to be the most likeable protagonist at first, but she came a long way over the course of the story. She learned valuable lessons about the importance of family and home while repairing her relationships with her grandmother, two sisters, and former sweetheart Callum Macrae. Lori and Callum's second chance romance was sweet, though IMO their relationship was built a bit too much on the past. There were times I questioned what Callum saw in Lori after so many years apart; they didn't seem to have much in common anymore. But their love for each other was genuine, and I guess that's the most important thing.

I'd recommend "From Scotland With Love" for all contemporary romance and women's fiction fans and plan to continue with the series.

*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

View all my reviews
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)