Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Review: "The Accidental Countess" by Emma Hart

Congratulations to author Emma Hart on the release of her latest novel, "The Accidental Countess," book #3 of the Aristocrat Diaries series. Characters from the earlier books of the series make appearances in this one, but it reads as a standalone.
 
Matthew Bennett, the Earl of Anglesey, has no interest in getting married, but he doesn't want to see his family's legacy end with him, or worse, pass on to his buffoon of a cousin. He needs an heir, which means he needs a wife, so he turns to Evangeline "Eva" Astley for help. Matthew and Eva have been friends with benefits since they met at a charity event a few months earlier, and even though she's not interested in marriage either, Matthew can't imagine tying himself to anyone else. Knowing that Eva's family hotel is in financial trouble and she's been trying to help her parents turn it around, Matthew proposes solving both of their problems with a marriage of convenience. In exchange for marrying him and providing an heir, Matthew will buy a stake in the hotel, providing the cash infusion it needs to stay afloat. When they divorce in a few years, he'll give Eva his stake in the hotel as well as provide for her and their child financially. The only catch is that they'll have to convince both the public and most of their family and friends that their relationship is real.   

Eva and Matthew were both incredibly likeable, sympathetic characters, and I enjoyed their witty banter tremendously. In addition, I thought their relationship development was perfectly paced; the chemistry between them was obvious from the start, but I loved that they spent so much time together and became friends before they fell in love. I also appreciated the way that Eva fell in love with Anglesey just as much as she fell in love with Matthew. The author's appreciation for the island was clear in the descriptions of the places the characters visited and the bits of local history that were woven into the story. I've added a new destination to my bucket list as a result of this book, that's for sure!

In summary, "The Accidental Countess" was one of Emma Hart's best books to date, and I adored it. I highly recommend it for all fans of contemporary romance and romantic comedy. While I'm sad that this series has come to an end, I can't wait to find out what Hart plans to write next.
 
*Review copy provided by the author. All opinions expressed are my own.   
 
 
About "The Accidental Countess"

The Accidental Countess by Emma Hart is LIVE and FREE with Kindle Unlimited!

An earl and an artist walk into a bar, and the barman says—never mind. They’re in a church, and they’re married now. Oops.

My name is Evangeline Astley, and the only thing you need to know about me is that I never imagined this was how my life would go.
I was supposed to devote all my time to painting gorgeous things to eventually open my own art gallery. Instead, I spent it all trying to sell my art to save my parents’ hotel.
Cue the Earl of Anglesey and his not-so-stunning idea.
Matthew Bennett needs an heir to the earldom, but for an heir, he needs a wife. And I’m the one the extremely eligible bachelor has chosen. Except I’m just as marriage-phobic as he is, so naturally, I refused—until he gives me an offer that I couldn’t.
If I agreed to marry him, provide an heir, and divorce amicably in due course, he would save The Fox and Hound hotel that I love so much.
That, ladies and gents, is how I became the Countess of Anglesey.
The one thing I didn’t count on, however?
Falling in love with my husband. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! While I do not expect everyone to agree with my point of view, please note that I reserve the right to delete any nasty or uncharitable messages, as well as spam. Open discussion is welcome and appreciated, but personal attacks are not. Thanks for understanding and have a nice day. :-)